Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Reddit Challenge - Week 1: Taping

Hi guys! As some of you may know I am a frequent Redditor. :) Yesterday I found out that the laqueristas on there are hosting a 52 week challenge. That's right, fifty two weeks, each with a different theme. And it seems very doable, even for a nail art noob like myself, so I decided to have a shot at it. I will try my best to come up with a manicure for each week, so hopefully every week I will have a challenge post for you!

The theme for week 1 is taping, which just happens to be my favourite technique for nail art. I often use scotch tape to spice up some manicures, but this time I decided to try out my striping tape. So far I have only used my striping tape as accents on my nails, but this time I used them for masking.


And this is my manicure for the first week! I started out with Essie Turquoise And Caicos as my base coat. Once that was dry I applied a lot of small strips of striping tape on my nails. This was such a hassle to do and it took me quite a long time. Anyway, once I was done applying the tape I went over it with a coat of Essence You Belong To Me and then quickly removed the tape while the polish was still wet.

I personally like the outcome a lot, even if it's sloppy in some places. Overall though, I think I did a good job, especially for a first attempt at using my striping tape like this! I also love the colour combination.


Here's a picture of Turquoise And Caicos by itself. It's a very pretty creme and for me it was opaque in three thin coats. You could probably get away with two coats if you have shorter nails, though.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to do something similar and I had major issues with it. I used scotch tape and applied nailpolish on it. Let it dry, but when I applied it on my nail...it would just bubble up. On the upside I discovered how to do confetti nails. I used the back portion of an old Tupperware/lid. applied bunch of strips of tape on the backside. Then I applied different colors of polish on the tape. I let it dry for about 48 hours. then, when you try to peel off the tape, the nail polish would come off in little chunks. I set the chunks aside on an old lid. Applied my nail with just the base. while still wet, I used a moist q-tip (cotton swab) and grabbed them (nail polish chunks) randomly. And the nails looked like confetti! Sadly, I didn't take pictures. But I think you should try this! *sorry for long comment*

    ReplyDelete